Sunday, July 7, 2013

Week 3

7.1-7.7

Monday
A. Snatch 3 x 80%, 3 x 85%, 3 x 90% (185, 195, 205)
B. Front Squat 4x2 @23X0 Rest 2 mins (305 across)
+
20 Thrusters 155#
20 Muscle Ups
10 Thrusters 135#
10 Muscle Ups
(11:42)

Snatches felt a little off today. Missed 1 reps at 205, managed to get angry and hit the next one. Still need a little bit of consistency in this area. Want to be hitting 225 regularly soon. Front squats were a bear with the three second pause at the bottom, but felt great after.  The conditioning was done an hour after finishing the strength and then coaching a class.  To be honest, 3 months ago I would have just skipped the conditioning based on how I felt at the time. I was dead, had no energy, had a test to study for, should have just gone home. But I am proud of myself that I managed to load up the bar and get after it. Didn't get after it quickly, but I got the work done and that's more than old me would have done. Taking something positive from every day.

Tuesday
A. Deadlift 5.3.1.5.3.1 (365, 395, 425, 375, 405, 435)
B. TnG Power Clean and Push Jerk x 3 EMOM 8 (165#)
+
30 HSPU
60 KB Swings 70#
30 HSPU
(11:46)

Deadlifts were done double overhand with a hook grip again.  Paused at the bottom between each rep as well. Hoping the practice breaking the floor is going to pay off, can already feel my hamstrings getting more involved than they were before.  The power clean and jerks were a bear today.  I need to work on the transition from the over head position to the ground.  I have always paused at the rack position on the way down, but if you take a look at some of the elite, they skip the rack right on the way to the thigh. Need to work on this with some light weights and see if I can nail it down. This conditioning piece was never going to be easy for me, but still not thrilled with that time, as I wanted sub 10.  Heart rate never really got going, just a matter of muscular endurance through this movement and form on the kip. Getting better though.

Wednesday
Off

Walked a bunch, slept a lot

Thursday
A. Snatch Balance 1.1.1.1.1.1 (195, 225, 235, 245, 245, 250f, 225)
B. OHS 10.10.10 @ 33X1 (155, 165, 175x5)
C. 100 CTB Pullups for time (8:07)

Today was good.  The snatch balances felt strong, but probably should be up in the 265-275 range. The OHS were pretty difficult, taking over a minute for each set at that tempo. The worst part of these was the pain in my elbows and hands, which is why I bailed at 5 reps on the last set. It just felt like something was going to get actually injured.  The CTB pullups were a bit annoying. Feel like this should be at least 2 minutes faster. Did small sets of 5, 3, 2 until 70 reps when my hand started to rip, and I decided to switch to singles. Definitely not the fastest way to do this. Butterfly felt ok until the hand started to rip. Still needs work.

Friday
A. Squat Clean 10 reps @ 90% not for time (270#)
+
4 Rounds of:
5 Squat Cleans 225#
2 Minute AirDyne Sprint
Rest 2 Minutes

(42, 35, 32, 39 calories)

Cleans felt good. No misses, but a couple reps felt a little off. Still working on bringing the bar higher on my thighs before accelerating.  The conditioning was not as bad as it looks on paper, which makes me think I should have gone faster on the AirDyne.  Think I should be looking at over 50 calories a round here.  The two minutes rest was enough for me to feel recovered each time, which was a pleasant surprise.  The cleans took me between 40-45 seconds each round, dropping each rep. Touch and go isn't quite there yet with this weight for squat cleans.

Saturday
3k Run (13:43)
Rest 5 Minutes
10 Minute AirDyne Test (158 calories)

Well this was a learning experience.  First lesson learned: Don't do run tests at 11am in July. Second lesson: Don't compare track times to times done at the gym. Third: Make sure to always do these workouts with partners.  The run involved 800m uphill and 6 turnarounds, which probably slowed down our times by at least 90 seconds, and I am going to guess 2 minutes honestly.  There is no way my average pace on a track is going to be over 7 minutes/mile. My former soccer-playing self wouldn't allow that to happen.  The airdyne was exactly what I expected.  I am wondering if this should be up closer to 200, and next time will push harder.  Think this was scheduled for next Saturday, but the In-House competition replaced that, so a few of us are planning on doing this on Wednesday and doing 6 days in a row. Hopefully nobody dies.

Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment